Friday, May 4, 2007

CPU frequency scaling in Ubuntu

I've managed to activate CPU frequency scaling of my SI1520's Core 2 Duo processor in Ubuntu Feisty.
Everything passes through the CPU Frequency Scaling Monitor Gnome applet, which must be reconfigured to enable manual CPU frequency scaling.

The shell command to do this is:

$ sudo dpkg-reconfigure gnome-applets

You will have to answer “Yes” to the question regarding setting the suid of the cpufreq-selector executable. Now you can left click on the CPU Frequency Monitor Applet and choose the CPU frequency and/or operative mode (Conservative, Ondemand, Powersave, Performance).

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Im thinking of buying this computer because Im looking for a small computer that's easy to bring along and around the school.

Im running Arch Linux but I guess that wont be a problem. Is there anything thats annoying you on this computer?

Sciamano said...

Hi stian, I must say that after a month of everyday use of this laptop I am fully satisfied by it. It's light and powerful, and works great with linux (if it works with Ubuntu, I guess it will work with Arch Linux too).

The only problems could be:
- heat (it's hot, but I don't know of any cool laptops)
- sound (it's a bit tricky to make microphones work, so if you need Skype or similar apps, keep this in mind, although I really haven't tested it very much since it's not an important feature for me)
- static energy :-) the display attracts a lot of dust

Would I buy this laptop again? ABSOLUTELY. It's awesome.
The only thing that really bothered me was the "interference" of the touchpad while typing, but since I solved this inconvenience, I can't find anything wrong with this notebook.